Transferring Funding to the U of A
If you're a new researcher at the U of A with funding from your previous institution, contact your Faculty-assigned Research Facilitator to help you get your funds to the U of A.
What you'll need
- Signatures (yours, your chair's and/or your dean's, and possibly sponsors, collaborators, etc.;
- Copy of the application, including budget and scope of work;
- Copy of the Notice of Award; and
- Biohazards, human ethics and animal welfare certification, if applicable.
Your former institution and/or sponsor may have other requirements as well.
Transferring Funding Between Co-Investigators
Collaborations among researchers from multiple institutions are becoming increasingly common. The following outlines the process involved in transferring funds between institutions for use by co-investigators. These transfers are called subgrants and are handled by RSO and the research office at the other institution(s).
- The sponsor’s terms and conditions or guidelines must permit the issuance of subgrants or subcontracts.
- The amount of funds to be transferred and the recipient’s name should be listed in the application’s budget.
- Due to all the steps and correspondence required between institutions and, potentially, sponsors, researchers should allow up to two months for subgrant transfers, especially for subgrants to the U of A.
- The principal investigators and co-investigators are responsible for finalizing the budget, and the principal investigator is responsible for notifying his/her research office to initiate the preparation of the sub-grant letters or sub-contract.
- Funds will not be released until certification requirements (human ethics, animal use, biohazards) are met.
- The recipient of a subgrant must be either listed as a co-applicant on the application or on the Notice of Award and/or approved by the sponsor.
- For both incoming and outgoing sub-awards, the principal investigator named by the sponsor will be responsible for the non-financial reporting.
- The lead institution is responsible for financial reporting.
- Due to the high volume of internal collaborations, subgrant transfers between U of A co-applicants are not permitted.
Subgrant Transfers from the University of Alberta
Steps to Issue a Subgrant:
- The principal investigator completes and signs the Request for Issue of a Subgrant form and sends the form to his/her Faculty-assigned Research Facilitation Office.
- RSO prepares a letter of agreement or contract between the U of A and the recipient institution and sends this document to the research office of the recipient institution for signature.
- The research office of the recipient institution signs the letter of agreement or contract verifying that the institution will administer funds according to the sponsor’s terms and conditions and that funds will not be released until certification requirements are met (human ethics, animal use, biohazards).
- Upon receipt of this signed letter of agreement or contract, RSO transfers funds to the recipient institution.
- The U of A is fully accountable for all funds, including the subgrant. RSO requests financial reporting from the recipient institution as required by the sponsor. Non-financial reporting remains the responsibility of the principal investigator.
Subgrant Transfers to the University of Alberta
Steps to Receive a Subgrant:
- The principal investigator contacts his/her Faculty-assigned Research Facilitator to request a letter of agreement or contract between his/her institution and the U of A.
- RSO receives, reviews, and signs this letter of agreement or contract, verifying that RSO will administer the funds according to the terms and conditions of the sponsor, and that funds will not be released until certification requirements are met (human ethics, animal use, biohazards).
- Because the U of A requires co-applicants to receive institutional signature on requests for funding, RSO will have a copy of the application on file and will therefore be able to proceed with authorizing a project for the funds. RSO will notify the co-applicant by e-mail when the project has been set up.
- If the applicant has not obtained U of A signatures (i.e., deans, chairs, etc.) on the application, he or she needs to complete the University of Alberta Signatures form, sign it and obtain his or her chair's and dean’s signature before taking the application to RSO for review, signature and project authorization.
- RSO will notify the co-applicant by e-mail when the project has been set up.